Monday, September 27, 2010

Government Influence on Nutrition (Possible Portfolio Topic)

I discovered the book, Food Politics: How The Food Industry Influences Nutrition And Health by Marion Nestle, and realized its topic was almost exactly what I was considering making the subject of my Portfolio Assignment.
After flipping through the book, I narrowed down the main points Nestle was trying to address. She divided her book into five parts, beginning with the messages the food industry uses to sell more food. I find this extremely interesting due to the fact that simultaneously our society is telling us we are too overweight.
Nestle then introduces the food industry’s tantalizing instruments used to increase sales in the second part and proceeds to give an example in the third part showing their influence on children. The fourth part concentrates on the food industry’s effort to actually deregulate the current advertisement restrictions which leads to her fifth part in which she explains how marketing turns “junk” food into healthy food. Obviously this book is going to be a staple in my "researching diet" :)


I have been reaffirmed that the overabundance of food forces food companies into competition with one another to make consumers eat their products instead of others. Additionally, food companies want to sell expensive rather than cheap food. Therefore, they try to sell more processed food than unprocessed fruits and vegetables. I am determined to centralize where and how this insanity is or is not being addressed.

This topic became more and more interesting to me as I continued my research. I am confident that there will be ample resources to use when producing the requirements of my Portfolio. I have decided to stick with this topic and to begin establishing the frameworks of the assignment.


sub·si·dize/ˈsəbsəˌdīz/Verb
1. Support (an organization or activity) financially.
2. Pay part of the cost of producing (something) to reduce prices for the buyer.

a·base/əˈbās/ Verb
1. Behave in a way so as to belittle or degrade (someone)

No comments:

Post a Comment